Monday, November 21, 2011

It's All In the Process

My previous blog entry was one of 'Impatience For TheWork.'  I had a piece of spalted birch on the lathe, and was anxious to get it hollowed out so I could start on newer pieces waiting for me.  I completed the spalted birch piece with a red cedar collar:


The collar on it was intended to sweep upward in a beautiful cove, standing tall and polished above the spalted birch. In cutting it thin, I destroyed that idea with one dramatic catch, which cut a chunk out of the collar a full two inches down the cove I'd so lovingly completed. The collar, with much gnashing of teeth, then became a narrow rim. It was obvious after that, that I needed to make a lid for it.
 The first lid was an ill fit, so I moved on to a second try.  The second sported a thin, tall finial that comically looked too small on top of the vessel. The third lid was better, but it seemed to emphasize the fact I'd missed a 'fair curve' on the vessel itself. The outer curve flattens toward the bottom instead of continuing in a natural arc:


So, the vessel went back on the lathe over a jamb chuck, and I re-cut the bottom half, allowing the arc of the curve to sweep down to the base.  It was only a small difference, but it made a big difference in the look of the turning.


I am learning to not get too impatient with what I'm trying to do, and I'm finally satisfied!  The vessel is 10" tall overall, and is available for sale at BarbS Woodworks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments checked for Spam; published on approval.