My previous blog entry was one of 'Impatience For TheWork.' I had a piece of spalted birch on the lathe, and was anxious to get it hollowed out so I could start on newer pieces waiting for me. I completed the spalted birch piece with a red cedar collar:
The collar on it was intended to sweep upward in a beautiful cove, standing tall and polished above the spalted birch. In cutting it thin, I destroyed that idea with one dramatic catch, which cut a chunk out of the collar a full two inches down the cove I'd so lovingly completed. The collar, with much gnashing of teeth, then became a narrow rim. It was obvious after that, that I needed to make a lid for it.
The first lid was an ill fit, so I moved on to a second try. The second sported a thin, tall finial that comically looked too small on top of the vessel. The third lid was better, but it seemed to emphasize the fact I'd missed a 'fair curve' on the vessel itself. The outer curve flattens toward the bottom instead of continuing in a natural arc:
So, the vessel went back on the lathe over a jamb chuck, and I re-cut the bottom half, allowing the arc of the curve to sweep down to the base. It was only a small difference, but it made a big difference in the look of the turning.
I am learning to not get too impatient with what I'm trying to do, and I'm finally satisfied! The vessel is 10" tall overall, and is available for sale at BarbS Woodworks